Sunday, May 11, 2008

2008 Giro - Stage 2

Today was enjoyably different race watching day for me. CTV doesn't air the race on days that Versus has them so it was off to locate some other feeds. RAI came through and have to say a majority of the viewing was better than some of it I saw on Versus this afternoon. I can surely say I am picking up a few words in Italian. Nothing more then like 6-10 key racing terms but hey, that might get me further than my sign language knowledge.

The Slipstream guys were looking great today. Big Maggy most certainly impressed me. He was out front taking some serious pulls. That man is in incredible shape so thae he was up there wasn't what impressed me but that fact that he looked so damn good at it. And once again I find myself saying it - I HATE crashes. I absolutely hate them. Dave Z went down in a crash and seeing him on the side in the grassy bushes was awful. He looked like he was having trouble getting deep breaths and he certainly wasn't able to stand up on his own. They said Christian had held up waiting for him but it was soon realized he wasn't coming up. I feel horrible for them and especially Z. Why must these things happen? Julian Dean went down at some point as well but he was back up and riding.

With great efforts, C held up with the sprint team leaders. C can do amazing things and I am excited to see him having the opportunities to show it. He crossed the line 19th, 10 seconds off Ricco. In the end, with time bonuses, he is out of the jersey by one second. Poop. But, all things considered, I don't think it's the worst thing. It takes a lot of work and effort to defend so the break from that should help them in animating other stages. I'm really proud of these guys and I am going to truly enjoy cheering for them the rest of this race!!! Go Argyle!!!

Slipstream: Comment left from Andy Hampsten -

Andy Hampsten
May 10th, 2008 at 3:07 pm


Respect.
Let me join in thanking you boys for showing respect in all you do, and how you race.20 years. Its been 20 lousy years since we got any respect in Pink and now the other families can all see how it should be done. With honor. And in the Old Country too.Don’t forget to eat well while you’re there too.


BikingBis: Who is this Christian Vande Velde? (great read!)
EuroPeloton: Maglia Rosa for Vande Velde as Slipstream Wins Giro TTT

Live Chatter: CN - VN - DP - PodiumCafe

Stage 2 - Sunday, May 11: Cefalù - Agrigento, 207km
Results

1 Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval - Scott 5.48.35 (35.629 km/h)
18
Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0.10
19
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30
31 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Astana 0.21
40
Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 0.31
102 David Millar (GBr) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 2.04
105
Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 3.03
117 Stuart O'Grady (Aus) Team CSC 5.24
121 Jason McCartney (USA) Team CSC
144
Julian Dean (NZl) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 7.55
182
Magnus Backstedt (Swe) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 11.40
188
Christopher Sutton (Aus) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30
191 Jonathan Patrick Mc Carty (USA) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30
194 Danny Pate (USA) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30
DNF
David Zabriskie (USA) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30
General classification after stage 2
1
Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 6.15.16
2 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 0.01
14 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 0.28
19 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0.30
25 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Astana 0.40
85 David Millar (GBr) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 2.14
97 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 2.54
114 Stuart O'Grady (Aus) Team CSC 5.21
116 Jason McCartney (USA) Team CSC 5.34
131 Julian Dean (NZl) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 7.46
144 Magnus Backstedt (Swe) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 1.31
179 Jonathan Patrick Mc Carty (USA) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 13.33
180 Danny Pate (USA) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30
192 Christopher Sutton (Aus) Slipstream Chipotle p/b H30 15.56


Slipstream_CVV: Ciao for now Maglia Rosa
Slipstream: Zabriskie medical update: heading home to recover
Slipstream: In the hunt for new goals
Slipstream: Despite heroic effort, lead lost by 1"
VN: Vande Velde's day in pink
VN: Zabriskie crashes out of Giro
CW:
Ricco wins Giro d'Italia second stage
PEZ:
Giro '08 St.2: Rockin' Ricco Romps It!
Spinnin'Wheel:
Giro d'Italia 2008 Stage 2: Arrrrgh-yle

Graham Watson Photos -
Stage 2
Slipstream Photo Album: Giro

2 comments:

Nads said...

Go Burrito Team!!!!!

I have to confess I avoided the computer this weekend so I just got all caught up. It's a good thing you tell me about this stuff when I talk to you or I would have missed a lot this weekend.

Nikki said...

We all need breaks like that. Watching the races are my break so I love the computer. It just after a 14 hour day that makes it hard to sign on.

Hopefully you won't beat me to the house tonight. I'm looking forward to the visit and in case I forget tomorrow - thank you! You know I'd be just fine on my own but it is sweet that you refused my no reply. Not looking forward to this so at least good company will make it easier.

I still think we could get in a bike ride too by the way. I have an extra one now!