Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Heart Felt Condolences

I don't know that there is ever a good time to lose a loved one. I lost my dad while I was still in my 20's and it took a hard toll on heart strings. All last week I kept in touch with John with how his dad was doing and my heart went out to him and the family. I didn't post anything as I felt it was a personal time for them and felt it wasn't the world's need to know what they were dealing with. C was over riding in the Giro and my heart went out more and more to the entire family as the week went on. Each day seemed a little sadder than the one before. Having been through it with my dad and my father-in-law I knew signs and things to be expected. I offered John an ear and friendship as best I could to help make it even a slight bit easier.

Sunday morning, I think even before 7 John called me with the news. It was a call that I knew would be coming but not any less sad to get. My heart, thoughts, prayers, and most sincere condolences went out to the entire VandeVelde family. I was asked to drop a note to CN, VN, and the Versus crew so I did without delay. Then I dropped C a note telling him win or lose it didn't matter, just ride with his heart. And he did, finishing his Pink Jersey Giro with a 5th place in the days TT. A beautiful high note to end a hard race and heavy hearted day on. It was sweet that Phil Liggett announced his condolences during Versus coverage in the afternoon. I hope the family realizes how much we all had them on our hearts. Phil emailed me back yesterday and again had touching words for the family.

Albert C. VandeVelde
Albert C. VandeVelde - Born: March 7, 1921 in Chicago. Passed Away June 1, 2008 at his Glen Ellyn home (50 year resident). Retired after 35 years of service as a pilot for TWA. WWII Navy Pilot. Beloved husband of 64 years to Mary L. Loving father of Thomas (Sandy) VandeVelde, John VandeVelde and Janet (Jim) Gillespie. Proud grandfather of Annette (Bob), Michael, David, Julie, Melissa (Tom), Christian (Leah), Marisa, Ian (Jocelyn), Nicholas, Conor, Dirk and the late Stacey. Great grandfather of 10. Dear brother of Valere (Harriet) VanDeVelde. Fond uncle of many nieces and nephews. Family and friends to gather Friday, June 6th for 11AM memorial mass at St. Petronille Church, 420 Glenwood Avenue, Glen Ellyn. In lieu of flowers donations to Loyola Hospice at 2160 South First Ave. Maywood 60153. Arrangements by DuPage Cremations, Ltd. and Memorial Chapel 800-588-1132 (Courtesy of: Central DuPage News)

Reads:
VN:
A Fred's Eye View - A conversation with Filip Meirhaeghe
OutsideAllDay:
In my other life
BikingBis:
Who is this Christian Vande Velde?
Below is a great read on Christian and the VandeVelde family -
BikingBis: Christian Vande Velde: More a star than a water carrier

No comments: