Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mike Friedman - Etoile de Besseges

Below is a writing currently on Slipstream's Website. My goal was to copy little and use links whenever possible but it seems once the articles are pushed off the homepage, they're gone. So hopefully they won't mind it saved here. :-) Enjoy the read...


Mike "MeatBall" Friedman's Musings on the Eve of Etoile de Besseges

"Having the pulmonary embolism behind me is a great feeling, especially going into the new year. New year, great team, big races, and an Olympic year to boot. What more can I honestly wish for?"

"The team is what I would call the "American Dream Team". It’s first-class from the BIG things like the team's pimped out bus, to small things like real parmesan cheese, good olive oil, and aged balsamic vinegar on the dinner table. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it makes a world of difference."

"The team started the year off with a bang, and tomorrow we will attempt to keep up the show. Etoile de Besseges is a five-day stage race in France that starts off flat (good for me) and then goes into some smaller mountains, and one category 1 climb (bad for me). The flatter stages are better because though my intensity from track racing is high, my road volume is low. And I do have a few extra kilos of "Love" on me too."

"So if I get within a few hundred meters of the line, I will be able to unleash hell over the first few stages. The plan will be for the team to ride aggressively in the windy
sections, protect me, and get me to the finish line first."

"I'm really stoked going into tomorrow. If only I could get a full night’s sleep! Right now, every bloody morning I'm up at 3:30 or 4 am and lay awake until breakfast around 9. I actually get a lot done in that time – stretching, emailing, reading, etc, but it's wearing me out."

"Well, gotta go eat for the race tomorrow!"

No comments: